We got bucket full of apple from a local apple farm and now my refrigerator is full of apples! Yesterday, vighnesh was asking me what’s for dinner. And I said "Apple"; He said "you are kidding right?” I said - "hmm.. Something with apple".
So this week is Apple week, Apple kai rasa , Apple Pizza , Just made Apple Jam yesterday . And couple of days later, I am planning to do Apple Pie.! . I said to myself "no more apples for couple week at least!”
So Today's recipe menu is Cinnamon, vanilla flavored Apple Jam:
Apples - Used 7 medium sized apples
Lemon juice - juice of 1/2 lemon or citric acid
2 cups of water
Sugar - 11/2 cups
Optional Ingredients - Skip all these if you are not planing for flavored apple jam
Cinnamon powder- 1 tbs
Vanilla extract - 1/2 tbs (You can check my home made vanilla recipe here )
Cardamom - 1/2 tbs
- Peel, coarse and chop the apples.
- In a large thick bottom pan, add chopped apples and water. Cook on medium flame until apples are soft and most of the water is absorbed.
- Add sugar, lemon juice, and optional ingredients.
- Cook on a low-medium flame for 20-30 minutes stirring every now and then.
- Mash the apples with potato masher to your required consistency.
- Once the sugar moisture is absorbed and the mixture starts to stick to the bottom, Keep stirring the mixture with spatula.
- Check for sweetness, add more if desired.
- Jam will be ready when, it becomes thick and forms like dough, it will take around 25-30 minutes.
- If you are not sure when to stop cooking, check for the taste and you will know.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Store it in airtight container.