We are trying use less all purpose flour and use more whole grain's in our diet. Whole grains are high in fiber and iron rich.
Yesterday I prepared oatmeal and barley cookies without adding a pinch of maida or all purpose flour. It turned out very good. try it out yourself.
Ingredients required :
Oatmeal (quick) - 13/4 cup
Barley flour - 3/4 cup
Whole wheat flour - 1/4 cup
2 large eggs at room temperature
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Vanilla extract - 1 Tbs
Cinnamon - 1 Tbs
Sugar - 3/4 cup
1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
Optional but recommended:
Raisins - 1/4 cup
Chopped walnuts - 1/4 cup
Chocolate chips - 1/4 cups
Wheat germ - 1/4 cup (high in protein and fiber)
Easy steps :
Heat the oven to 350f. And spray the cooking sheet with oil or butter. You can use the parchment sheet as well.
You can use food processor or electric hand mixer.
1. Cut the butter in to small chunks and beat them for a minute.
2. Add sugar, vanilla extract and beat them until smooth.
3. Add the eggs and beat until smooth and fluffy.
4. In a separate bowl, add barley flour, wheat flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, Cinnamon and give it a nice mix.
5. Now slowly add this dry flour mix to the beaten egg bowl and mix gently.
6. Add oatmeal and mix it well
7. Now add all the optional ingredients like raisins, chocolate chips etc.
8.Give it a nice mix. At this stage you can just use the spatula to mix it.
9. Use the ice-cream scoop to scoop off the dough to cookie sheet and spread it around to make your desired shape and thickness.
10. Pop it in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until the inserted knife comes out smooth.
11. Immediately transfer the cookie to another sheet to stop cooking.
12. Let it cool down and enjoy the cookie with milk or coffee.