Roopa had prepared this coconut halwa (Halbai) recipe on Sunday's get together. It was so tasty, I think, I must have had at least 3-4 pieces that night!. :) Thanks roopa for these delicious recipes, It was so yummy.
Ingredients for Halbai :
Rice - 1/2 cup
Coconut powder - 1 cup
Jagary or Sugar - 1 cup
Ghee or Clarified Butter - 3/4 cup
Fresh Cardamom powder - 1/4 tbs
1. Soak rice for 3-4 hrs
2. Grind the saoked rice along with coconut powder and jaggery or sugar to a smooth paste, little bit thinner than dosa batter.
3. In a pan add 1 tbsp of ghee & pour the batter and keep stirring in medium flame. ( make sure there is no lump formation )
4. Keep stirring till it thickens and add the cardamom powder.
5. Add 1/2 cup of ghee little by little and continue to mix well. Takes around 15-20mins.
6. Just like halwa, it gets non sticky and ghee tends to separate. At this time pour into a greased plate and allow it to cool for 5mins and cut into desired shape.
Ingredients for Aloo and Sweet Peas Tikki :
This recipe is an entry to sweet peas delicious recipe event. Here is what you need
Boiled Potato - 2 big, peeled and mashed gently
Frozen peas - 1 cup
bread crumbs - 1 cup
oil- 2 tbs and more for shallow frying
Cumin Seeds - 1 tbs
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece, grated.
Green chillies - 1-2, finely chopped
Garam Masala - 1/2 tbs
Lemon Juice - 1/2 lemon squeezed
Chilly powder - 1/2 tbs optional
Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, pinch of turmeric powder, finely chopped ginger, finely chopped green chilies, peas and allow it to cook for 4-5mins. Later add 1/2tsp chilly powder as per your taste, garam masala, salt to taste and cook for another 5mins. Allow it to cool and mix with aloo n 1/2 cup of bread crumbs adding half a slice of lemon juice. This makes a tikki dough.
Take small piece of dough and make a round ball. Press between the palms to make cutlet. Make it into shape either round or oval and then roll it on remaining bread crumbs and shallow fry on both sides till it turns brown in color and crispy enough. Serve hot with Ketchup. Enjoy.
Thanks roops for this wonderful recipes.