When I was in India last month, my mom prepared this mouth watering bajji for us. It was so yum... aah! . It just needs some time and your patience. but you will love it.
Here is the Ingredients you need for grains fritters :
Rice : 3/4 cup
Mung dal : 1/4 cup
Urad dal : 1/4 cup
Channa dal : 1/4 cup
Cumin - 1 tsp
Coriander - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Grated Coconut - 2 Tbs
Coriander leaves or Cilantro - 1/4 cup
Green Chilly - 1/2 or per your taste (it does not catch that much spiciness, so be careful while adding the green chilly. : I just added 1/2 of it. because we are not a very spicy eater and it was just right for us)
Salt - per taste
Oil - 1 tsp + more for frying
- Soak rice in a bowl for 2 hours
- Soak all other grains separately for 2 hours
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan, add cumin, coriander seeds, fry for few seconds, add mustard seeds.
- Once it starts to splatter, take it out of the heat and let it cool.
- First grind rice with less amount of water. Once it is slightly ground, add grains, coriander leaves, green chilly and the seasoning that we did in the pan.
- Grind to make a paste. Do not add much water. Make it like a thick Idli batter.
- Add salt and keep it aside for 1 hour.
- If the batter has become slightly thin or watery, you can add little bit of besan flour and keep it in the fridge for half an hour or so.
- Now heat lots of oil in the frying pan.
- Once the oil is pretty hot, just drop the spoon full of batter in the oil.
- Turn other side carefully after a minute.. fry until brown. Take it out of the oil once all the bubbles settled down. Place it on the paper towel to absorb extra oil.
- And serve.
- Enjoy the delicious hot bajji with butter or any chutney. I served this with Fresh turmeric roots chutney(below is the easy recipe for turmeric root chutney).
Turmeric Root Chutney Recipe:
Turmeric roots - 2 inch, chopped roughly
Coriander Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1/4 tsp
Sesame Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Coconut Powder - 1/2 Cup
Oil - 1/4 tsp
Red Chilly - 1 small
Jagary or Brown Sugar - 1 Tbs
- Heat oil in a pan
- Fry coriander seeds, Urad dal for few seconds, add sesame seeds, once it starts to splatter add the chopped turmeric roots and red chilly. Fry for couple of minutes.
- Grind this with coconut powder and water to make chutney.
- Now take this mixture in a pan, add salt and jagary to that.
- Bring it to boil on a medium flame heat, while whisking occasionally for couple of minutes.
- Serve this on rice or Dosa and any kind of bajji or fritters.
- You can store this chutney for 3-4 days.