Mung dal - 1 cup
Urad dal - 1/2 cup
Salt - 3/4 tbs or to taste
Lightly beaten yogurt - 2-3 cups
Chat Masala - 2 tbs
Dates &Tamarind Chutney - 1 tbs (optional)
Green Chilly chutney - 1 tbs or to taste (optional)
Salt - 1 tbs
Roasted cumin powder - 1 tbs
Fresh coriander / Cilantro leaves - for garnishing
Oil for deep frying
- Wash and Soak mung dal and urad dal for 6 hour or overnight.
- Grind them to thick paste with little or NO water. If it is difficult to grind, may be consider adding 1-2 tbs or water.
- Add salt and mix well.
- If the mixture has become little thin, add 1-2 tbs of besan or Channa flour.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, carefully place a spoon full of batter in the oil.
- Fry until golden brown.
- Fry the entire batter in batches.
- 10 minutes before serving, place the fried balls into lightly salted water.
- Soak them for 5-7 minutes.
- Now, squeeze the balls to take out the entire water.
- Place the balls in the serving plate or bowl.
- Add salt, roasted cumin powder and chat masala to lightly beaten yogurt or curd and mix it well.
- Pour this mixture on top of the balls. Add as much or little curd as you want.
- Garnish it with chat masala, tamarind chutney,cumin powder and green chutney.
- And finally sprinkle freshly chopped coriander or cilantro leaves.
- Enjoy the wonderful snack.
- You can either use mung dal or urad dal only.
- The chutney are optional.