Ingredients: (makes 8 medium sized ball)
Idli rava - 2 cups or Roasted rice - coarsely powdered.
Coconut oil - 4-5 Tbs
Water - 31/2 cups or as needed
Salt - 11/4 tbs or to taste
Coconut oil - 1 tbs
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tbs
Urad dal - 1/2 tbs
Hing or asafetida - a pinch
Channa dal - 2-1/2 Tbs
Red Chilly -2
Coriander seeds - 1 tbs
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tbs
Mustard seeds- 1/2 tbs
Turmeric - 1/4 tbs
Coconut powder - 2 Tbs
Sesame seeds - 1/2 tbs
Curry leaves - 4-5
- Roast all masala ingredients except coconut powder until nice aroma comes out of it.
- Coarsely grind the roasted masala with coconut powder and keep it aside
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal, hing.
- Once it starts to splatter, add ground masala powder and fry for couple of seconds.
- Add the idli rava or coarsely ground roasted rice.
- Add water, salt to make upma or uppittu.
- Add 2 tbs or coconut oil.
- Once the upma is ready, let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Make a medium sized ball from the upma.
- Brush or spray coconut oil to all the balls.
- Steam it for 10 minutes.
- I use Idli cooker to steam, it is easy and gives the best result.
- Serve warm with sambar or Ghee and Chutney powder combination.